Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Chosen by Choice

I had a hard time thinking of a name for my blog but then it just hit me. I make no secret of the fact that I'm a Jew by Choice. In the congregation I was converted in, there was no shame in it, and there were a lot of converts. Converts were some of the most active members of the congregation, which I hear is pretty typical. But I have heard of others who don't even want a person who is in the process of converting to ask them in private about their conversion process, even in the way of moral support or asking what to expect. I guess I was lucky enough not to be exposed to an environment that would generate that feeling in me.

Even though I've been a Jew for years, I still want very much to learn about other people's family traditions and customs. That's really something you can't get from a book or a rabbi. I figure that if I'm open about wanting this thing I never had, people will be more apt to offer it to me.

That's just a little about me and the name of my blog to get things started here.

No comments:

Post a Comment